If you have braces, there are a few things to keep in mind to make sure that you stay injury-free and keep on track with your progress.
Tips For Playing Sports With Braces
Here are five tips for playing sports with braces:
- Use a mouth guard. Mouth guards are created to guarantee that your teeth stay safe, especially in contact sports such as football. It’s also recommended that you wear your mouth guard while playing sports where you have higher chances of getting hit in the face, such as in basketball and soccer. You will quickly get used to the feeling of wearing a mouth guard during sports, and it’s definitely well worth it to ensure that your teeth stay safe!
- Use a mouth guard that fits your particular needs. Some mouth guards may not fit your braces, so you might want to consider having it customized to make it as comfortable as possible.
- Your mouth guard may be a little uncomfortable to wear at first. To get used to the feeling of having one in your mouth, wear it around the house and during practice so that by the time your sports game comes around, you don’t even notice it’s there.
- To make your mouth guard more fun to wear, you can have it customized and designed so it will fit your team’s color or even your favorite shows or professional teams. There are also flavored mouth guards with common flavors such as bubblegum and strawberry.
- If you’re not wearing your mouth guard and your teeth get injured, go to the emergency room to get checked out. First-aid is better than no aid at all.
Taking care of your teeth is one step to being a healthier and more confident person. While we can’t avoid accidents, especially in sports, we can find ways to protect ourselves when these accidents happen.